The Columbia Bands, Inc. is hosting its 5th annual All-State Community Band on August 5 and 6, 2017. More information can be found at http://www.columbiabands.org/MASCB/2017.html. Some additional information, including a poster is below.
To all Maryland Community Bands!
The Columbia Bands, Inc. is thrilled to be hosting the 2017 Maryland All State Community Band (MASCB) event August 5-6, 2017 in Howard County, Maryland. This will be the fifth year of the event, and we are hoping to have members from across the state and the 32 different Maryland community bands! Please share this event with all your members and help us to make sure there is broad representation! If you know of a community concert band we have missed, please feel free to forward this information to them!
Maryland All State Community Band was developed to allow musicians who are active in a Maryland community concert band a chance to come play with other musicians from all over the state under the baton of a world renowned conductor, Dr. Harlan Parker of the Peabody Conservatory. Musicians submit recorded auditions and the band is built based on the number of auditions that we receive (the more low brass, the larger the ensemble). Auditions are judged anonymously by outside judges. The judges provide a feedback form to each musician who auditions.
Each musician who auditions pays a small fee of $15 to cover the judging costs. Musicians that are selected to participate pay an additional fee of $85. This money covers the costs of the auditorium, food (three meals are provided over the weekend), conductor fee, music purchases, and a CD of the performance for each musician. This is not a fundraiser for the Columbia Bands and all money that is collected is used to pay for the event. If you have a musician who would like to participate but cannot afford to, please let us know. There are a limited number of donated fees that can be used for musicians that do not have the means to otherwise participate.
Detailed information, including a Frequently Asked Questions and Audition Recording Tips, is available on the website: http://www.columbiabands.org/MASCB/2017.html . This website will also have links to the audition music when it becomes available (January 1, 2017).
The timeline for the 2017 MASCB is as follows:
- January 1, 2017 – audition music is posted online at the 2017 MASCB website (www.columbiabands.org/MASCB/2017.html). Musicians may audition on as many instruments as they would like by submitting a separate audition fee, recording, and application form for each instrument. The exception is flute/piccolo and oboe/English horn which will be covered as a single audition fee.
- March 13, 2017 – audition recordings are due. Audition recordings can be submitted via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. The audition application can be filled out online from a link on the website.
- April 28, 2017 – all musicians will receive their audition results and feedback forms.
- May 15, 2017 – Commitment by musicians to participate and payment submitted.
- May 30, 2017 – Music will be emailed to all participants for individual parts practice.
- August 5, 2017 – Rehearsals
- August 6, 2017 – Morning rehearsal and a concert (free to the public) at 3 pm
Questions? Please do not hesitate to contact us at email@example.com.
Thank you for all you do for community music in Maryland. We are incredibly honored to be able to host this amazing event and we look forward to meeting all the musicians from your group!
Chair, 2017 MASCB Planning Committee